Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Transferred & Zone Leader....The more we use the Atonement the better we will understand it & the happier we will be.

We had interviews with President Friday and he told me I'd probably be leaving. Then Saturday I got the call from the AP's I was leaving and Johnson was staying yet another transfer. Elder Whitely (the AP) asked if I knew what was happening so that gave me a reason to stress out about what he's teased me about for awhile but he wouldn't say anything else. Then Sunday morning President called and asked if I'd be a Zone Leader... I was pretty bummed. I probably shouldn't have been but I feel like I've just gotten the hang of being a good District Leader. I wanted to be that missionary that worked really hard and taught all the time and whitewashed, opened areas, and trained. Not a lot of people take the calling of District Leader very serious and I was hoping to be able to help change that.

I know it'll be good though. I know it's what President feels inspired to do. I thought I would for sure dodge being a zone leader since Johnson has stayed so long. He'll have been for 9 months which is the max a missionary can stay in an area.

We had a great end though Sunday. It was fast and testimony so I got to bear my testimony one last time and announce my leaving. Then we had a great lesson with the M on the Gospel of Jesus Christ. L sat in the dark corner and just looked so sad the entire time. It's sad to see that she doesn't want to be happy with her family and instead fight it. We hope she has a change of heart.

We had crazy week. Started off with teaching a less active that tased her 12 year old daughter for coming home at 10 instead of 7. She loves her kid a lot but is just confused on how to make sure she doesn't go down wrong paths. We tried to help her understand that the Gospel is the best thing she could ever do. She just doesn't want to go to church though. Sad stuff.

Haven't seen R at all which has been sad. He's falling off more and more. It breaks my heart.

Another less active who like to just chat the entire time said that our efforts to try to teach really have helped and he's been making a lot of changes. That was rewarding. He said he'd really try on making an effort to quit smoking and would fast and pray about it. I'm bummed I won't be here to help him out some more.

We had a great lesson with Sister C, another less active. We talked about what we always talk about. Going to church. She got sick on Friday and couldn't come. AHH! Hopefully she'll get there. She wants to go to the temple.

We went to a doctor's appointment and there I got to see my pal Elder Hamblin who's companion was also there for the doctors. So that was really good talking to him. We talked about different things we were doing in the field. It was so good getting advice from him.

TW couldn't come to church because her kid had dance practice that was a bummer. Her husband moved out as well. It's still awesome that she wants to make that climb back. She got the first chord to a Child's Prayer tattooed to her foot! haha. I'm bummed I can't be there to teach her anymore either.

Sunday The Ms all came to church (except David the oldest). The reason that's a big deal is the mom is fighting this and even the youngest made his decision against hers and came to church. Steven said they all had a talk and all the kids decided to join the church!! This was a huge deal when S told me privately as we were walking out. He said he'd prayed about it for over 2 hours privately in his car one night. I won't be here for the baptism on June 14th but S said he'd advocate all he could for me to be there haha. Not all the kids will be baptized by June 14th but the majority will.

A lady named J that we've been teaching has been going through a rough time and almost lost her storage so we helped her with that and got a member to bring a truck. She broke down crying but she came to church and loved it!

Then while trying a less active I started talking to her Mexican neighbors who were cooking some really good food so they invited us in to eat with them!! It made me so ridiculously happy to eat some authentic Mexican food and speak a little Spanish again. They're just so incredibly friendly and welcoming! All I said was man that smells good, what are guys cooking? And then the mom comes to the door and invites us in! Unfortunately they said no to Spanish missionaries coming by but they were extremely charitable.

I love this area and these people but I know wherever I go the Lord will prepare people. I hope to work harder than ever before and give myself completely over. It's so great bearing your testimony to random people. It can be nerve racking but as soon as you do it becomes a great experience. We helped a lady move a couch up 2 flights of stairs and she seemed hesitant to us but as soon as we just bore our testimonies she opened up and we had a great talk. Unfortunately she said no to us coming by but it helped me to see how this stuff really won't be that hard at all when I go home. If I just keep at it.

The Atonement of Jesus Christ is everything. It's hard to understand sometimes, but it's real. If we just keep trying to use it more we'll be happier and understand it more and more. 2 Nephi 26:27 says, "hath he commanded any that they should partake of his salvation? Behold I say unto you, Nay; but he hath given it free for all men; and he hath commanded his people that they should persuade all men to repentance."

Hop on the band wagon of the Lord's hastening of the work and share the Gospel with your friends in the ways that you can!! He's given this to us for free and commanded that we "persuade all men to repentance". If you want greater faith, testimony, happiness. If you want to feel like you're serving God, do missionary work.

I love you all!

-Elder Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment