Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Ya, I hula

Momma,

So last weeks during emailing some elder came up to us that had been with the zone leaders and asked Elder Dean and I if he could come with us to our area for a day. I thought his companion got ET'd and he didn't really have anywhere else to go so was going around to all the different areas in the zone. So I was pretty excited to have someone new come along with us. I felt at that moment that this was an answer to my prayers on how to become more effective. Long story short, I ended up loving this elder so much that I gave him permission to marry my sister after their missions.
I felt so much like Amulek that was blessed so much because he took in some sketchy guy looking for food. I thought this elder might be a little sketch honestly. He's a traveling missionary and was going around to all the companionships in the west side of the mission. We were his 12th. He was so himself. He was a smart mouth to people when they were smart mouths to us and he was just himself and was such a great missionary. He kept apologizing for eating our food but I told him, you have no idea how much you've fed us.
We went to see Nichole Tucker and he got really bold and loving and she agreed to take the lessons again. A miracle! He apparently had been told by president 3 months ago that he would be the next AP but he hadn't told anyone but since we were the last companionship and he was getting shipped to Denver the next day he didn't care to tell us. So that was a huge highlight for this week. (I, mom, called the mission office to see if this guy is legit & he was. I thought the mission office should have called to tell Elder Edgel)

We watched the Restoration with Jeremy and Hauns, the less active guy we found and his friend Jeremy. Their such good guys. I felt the Spirit so strong watching it with them. I'm so excited to see Jeremy eventually get baptized.

The ward also had a Luau Friday! It was a huge success even though not that many people came. The sisters taught us to hula and it was a blast. The whole ward was cracking up with Brother Christenson, Fransisco, us, and some others.

There's a surprise coming your way. So if you want to send a package for free, get it ready swiftly. I'm not worried about it though. Just no sweets or junk food! I'm all about that healthy filling substance

We had a great lesson with Matt and his best friend Cam and Cam's wife. Wife and Cam quit drugs together. Cam suffered with drugs for a long long time. He had been best friends with Matt and the Bishop since they were kids. It was only when Matt slipped into drugs and Cam saw it and how he remained such a good person that he said he would actually quit if Matt quit. And so he did. They both quit the hardest of drugs together. It's amazing to see how there is purpose to everything. Matt is beating himself up for not being the dad he needed to and doing such terrible things. But that was how Cam finally quit drugs. They're such good guys and have such great understanding. Cam is a member and is Don Ella's nephew. He just needs to kick his butt in gear! We felt the Spirit so strongly with them. Matt officially quit tobacco too and we gave him a blessing.

It breaks my heart when people say that his Gospel is made up and is just a bunch of lies. It's so sad that they have no idea the blessings that can come from it. Respecting people's agency has been a climb.

I've learned though to accept where I am. Accept I'm not going to go out and be the best missionary and everything is going to be peachy perfect. That I'm going to leave this library and sometime this week get discouraged. I'm going to loose motivation a time or two. I'm going to fail in sharing the gospel with random people I come across and not do as good a job as I should. But being hopeful that I can influence some of the people around me. Some of these less actives and non members and eventually learn how to influence them all. That's been reassuring.

I love this Gospel and what it does. Saying it blesses my life doesn't do justice for what it's done for me. It breaks my heart when people assume it won't help them. But I know that this is what God has established for us. The person who knows us perfectly, who is not measurable in love and wisdom, gave us a simple church and simple guidelines to follow to help us to be most happy. I'm imperfect, I say and do imperfect things. It's the full example I should be, but I do know that very simply put, it can bless anyone's life. "Come unto me, all that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

I love you all! Los amo a todos!

-Elder Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment