Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Friday, March 7, 2014

We can be so blessed if we just get over what we want

Dear Momma,

That sounds like a ton of fun running and biking walking! There's a former/potential/eternigator that has lost 30 pounds in a few months. Almost how much her youngest son weighs haha. That reminded me of when you had us carry potatoes to show off how much weight you lost.

A mission is definitely more than I ever anticipated or expected. I was so secretly prideful thinking I was going to be an all star. I had no idea I was that prideful haha. I've been humbled not by hard things, but just seeing I'm not all that great. Which is funny how realizing that then makes you great... But stay humble!

Something really standing out to me this week is how when we loose ourselves in the work, we find ourselves. When we seek to enrich others, we become enriched. When Ammon and his brothers were so humble and faithful that they were willing to go through every kind of affliction with their lives being literally threatened in the bloodiest part of the world, all to just save ONE person. And because of that they were able to be instruments to help convert THOUSANDS.

I told you in a last letter that a Sister Leader Trainer was moved to my district. She's an amazing missionary but so many things have been keeping them back from working. She started training and opened a spanish area in Craig. I had her give a training in the district meeting about being consecrated (something she's famous for). She told us how there was a stake president that never taught a single lesson during his whole mission but knew that he atleast converted himself. She's been that optimistic as well. It's been a great example to us all.

Matt is doing awesome! He'll be baptized sometime in March now so he can't get over tobacco. Elder Dean and I went on splits TWICE this week! It's so awesome going on splits when we have the appointments. Going twice in a week has been our goal for a long time!

Sometimes when we're not getting a whole lot done I get discouraged at myself for not being motivated enough or wise enough to know where to go. Saturdays have been difficult and they're suposed to be one of the most succesful days of week so when they're not I get mad at myself because SURELY I must be doing something wrong. But even that is too much of me in the equation. Taking myself completely OUT of the equation so I am no longer anywhere in it whatsoever. There is so much power in that. Not even worried in the least bit about "am I doing enough?". But always having your mind and heart focused on others.

A return missionary that served in Steamboat 14 years ago came and visited the ward. He even came to waffles afterward. He fell in love for just the 6 weeks he was here. Steamboat has always had trouble with bad elders so he put in the idea to the President to send him and his best friend in since they have been there before for exchanges and love the area. They completely changed the area, although they didnt' get a baptism they were very succesful and changed the name for missionaries. He says Steamboat is the best city in the world and always does some form of missionary work while he's here. He even gave a refferal for the sisters after talking to a lady!
He gave really good advice of just having fun with the work. Being yourself, letting people see yourself and not being some religious nut job. He was a very dedicated missionary and loved the work and was a very good instrument for the Lord. He got rebuked at times for the way that he was doing it, only to have Preach My Gospel now teach those same principles that he adapted, namely working with members and not tracting. They rode the bus everywhere, made good friends with the bus drivers, and people saw them everywhere and would ask THEM questions. So it was very helpful to talk with him. There's so much to learn, often it's stressful but I try to focus on the good and take it a little at a time. I don't need to be amazing all at once.

We also had an amazing specialzed training with President Murdock (our mission president), President Elgen (counselor in stake) and the assistants, and zone leaders. They talked about working with members more and being focused on the work.

Fred is gone to California for work for a few months. He goes every winter. Usually he leaves before the snow but this is the longest he's ever stayed. He even said that he doesn't want to leave but knows he needs to. That's the first in the history of Fred. When we went to say goodbye we walked in and he happily goes, "look who it is! Well wouldn't this just blow your dress up?" heh heh. That's Fred.
Gabby, the convert is also moving along with Milagros. So now we only have 2 spanish speakers. One who work a lot. But there are other spanish speakers we are working with that are progressing well!

There's still trials and still struggles. I'm still learning to be more motivated. I am no way a superman. I've been so humbled here. I do love the Lord and His work. I love being apart of these times. Learning to focus on the peace and happiness has been one of the most beneficial things though. The Power of the Atonement is real. We can be so blessed if we just get over what we want to do no matter how seemingly innocent and look to see if God's will really will bless us so much more.

Los amo a todos!!!

-Elder Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment