Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

When you have the desires, miracles happen.

That sounds like a ton of fun going to Death Valley! The stars are amazing out here. Between driving to and from Craig and Steamboat I got to get out of the car and I got to just walk up and down the road staring at the stars in amazement. It was in the middle of nowhere with untouched snow everywhere, pitch black with the wind blowing (one of my favorites, windy nights) with weeds and bushes peaked over the snow so you could here them rustle in the wind, with the brightest stars you've ever seen in the frigid cold. It was so neat looking up and around and seeing all that God has given us, and how much more we can enjoy them when we are free from all our guilt that we've created for ourselves in this life. How much more we can appreciate God's creations when we follow God's commandments. There's just no words that can explain the gratitude for the Gospel helping us to be more filled in this life. It's so amazing.

It's so neat to see how people who were struggling so much in their life finally just get it. To see the Spirit finally work through them after their long journey and the heartache they've caused to themselves and their family.

Transfers! What will it be? 3 Transfers for Elder Edgel so far in Steamboat. He will... STAY! Seis mas semanas en Steamboat para Elder Edgel y Elder Dean tambien! Everyone thought I would leave this area for Elder Dean and take off. But I get 6 more weeks! Elder Dean and I are going to be fasting to strengthen ourselves and get ourselves more motivated for the work. That's the hardest thing for myself. Staying top notch motivated. When you have the desire miracles can happen though. Something I keep thinking about. If we just simply have the desire we will see amazing things happen. We're already seeing cool things happen and we're just getting started! We're learning how to work together as a companionship more effectively. I'm really excited. We've had some neat lessons with people.

A brother received the Aaronic priesthood in church! He said the last time we committed him to live the word of wisdom for a week was really easy so we did again and had give think of reasons why he needs to, how to help himself, what he'll miss out on if he doesn't and a date for the temple. We're very excited for him. They've decided to go to the temple to be sealed this year. he is scared he won't make it, but he definitely will. The ward has been so awesome with fellow shipping him. They were so sad to think I might be leaving and told me I better be one of the first families they visit after haha. I've grown really close with them.

Jared had his interview with the stake president and is coming along very well on preparing for a mission. He's come out a lot with us and has been a huge help.

We started teaching a family! It's hard to find those in Steamboat. Everyone is a single ski bum come to party. We brought a member and it went very well. We'll be seeing them tonight. After that lesson we ran into Alejandro, one of the Sister's investigators. I love this guy and am sad I can't speak spanish because I can't teach him. But he invited us in and we got to talk about him being baptized and practiced english and spanish. He will definitely be baptized.

We had dinner with Fransisco and Gabby, the couple that the sister's taught and baptized and Milandro the girl from Peru that we found and Rafa, Fransisco and Gabby's really good friend that they live with. Man oh man it was good to eat real mexican food again. They don't speak much english so most of the night was in Spanish which was really nice. I love all those people sooo much. The Sisters are teaching Rafa which is really exciting. We got to talk about Fransisco and Gabby's conversion which was very interesting. Before I was here the sisters tracted into them and Rafa said they could come back just because they were pretty, then when they came he was scared and didn't want to see them so he forced Gabby to who didn't want to either. Then Fransisco came out of his room and saw them and yelled "crap!" but they're version in spanish and in his room they could hear him saying to Rafa, "I don't want to hear anything from mormon girls!" Gabby didn't either at first.
But then Sister Tew came in and almost instantly became the best of friends with Gabby. The first time Fransisco met them he asked what he had to do to be baptized out of curiosity. Sure enough, they all finally felt the Spirit and were baptized. Now they're working on Rafa who says he knows he needs to be but needs time. I told them how I still have my passport and can use it after my mission and they got really excited saying that we were going to go to Mexico together hahaha.

Another thing, my spanish is infinitely better on my mission. Even in Mexico for the 3 weeks my spanish wan't this good. I can say many sentences at a time now and can talk to someone on the street enough to give them to the sisters haha. Really cool. I love love love spanish. I speak it in my head sometimes even though I'm sure it's the worst grammar. But my mind will just speak it in little things sometimes. I can even pray in spanish!

I know I need to stay sober, stay calm and sober for the next few trials that hit. I'm studying whenever I have the chance and doing everything I can. The next step is to actually love everything that I do. To not fear going into a lesson and only trust. To really study more effectively because I have the desire to help those around me. I know God has a purpose for me. I'm excited to stay in Steamboat. I love the people here. I want to work so hard for them.

I love you all. Thank you for the way that all of you have raised me and encouraged me. I'll work hard for you.

-Elder Edgel

1 comment: