Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The gospel contains why we even exist

Sounds like everyone is having a blast. The Gospel is so amazing because it allows us to truly have fun and enjoy life with our families. People may say they don't need God or need religion or need the true church in order to have enjoy life and their families. That they can have good families without it. Ahem. That's the biggest bull honky I've ever heard. Families are missing out so much. It's so hard to think of all the families in the world that don't have the Gospel and are missing out because of false teachings against the church and personal pride. It's really too bad.

Have I told you about an awesome family here? Husband was exconed. Twice. They're about to go get sealed in the temple. He hasn't been in for quite a few years. Their children are all wayward and very stubborn and living with them currently for a little. The oldest is like 26 or more. They have a huge house that they built by hand from many different barns and live out in the boonies with their own gun range. They've had so many miracles in their lives it's amazing to hear. She had a experience with an amazing man that was out in the middle of no where and picked up a hitch hiker in a suit and brief case that really helped her in her life. He talked about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and the importance of prayer. Ya, that's right, talked about OUR church! Booya! They're one of the most charitable people I know. They constantly are allowing strangers that are in a rough spot to live with them for a little. Right now 15 people are living in their house. Mom, dad, 3 kids, 2 lost boys, 1 lady that's having marriage problems and her kid, 3 kids whose mom is in Salt Lake for depression rehab, another friend living going through a patch, a random Mexican whose girl friend stole his money and ran and doesn't speak english and the dad's dad. Ya, talk about charity. She's trying to help everyone and not go crazy.

Who are the lost boys you may ask? I don't know if I talked about them. They got kicked out of the polygamist colony. Or asked to leave themselves. A 26 yr old got kicked out and his little brother Bo-in (don't know how it's spelt) 16 yr old found out about the internet and wanted to leave when he realized everything he knew was a lie. It's a very heart gripping story. They've been through a lot till the Christensons finally took them in. They're still struggling. They're very confused. Some of my most favorite people I've ever met. So genuine and mannered. Apparently in the colony you go to middle school then do construction for the rest of your life and you do it well. But I love those guys so much. I'm so definitely coming back after my mission.

I love your Alma 38:2 momma. Thank you so much for that.

We met this guy a few weeks back, stoned drunk. The first thing he said to us was, "hey you guys are Latter Day Saints right?" He told his amazing story of being on meth and heroine in a dump neighborhood. He had a trial in steamboat for a DUI and had no way of getting to it. So he prayed and said, if you're God, you'll help me get there. I'll walk down this alley and if I go right, I'm going to rob the liquor store and drink myself to death, if I go left, you're going to help me. He looked left, and saw a car battery by the dumpster. He passed cops 3 times and never got pulled over, he ran out of gas, met a priest who helped him out and promised God would get him where he was going, and as soon as he pulled into his mom's driveway, the car died. He sobbed like a baby.
Sober, he avoided us. Then he was drunk and we could talk with him. Then he was sober and avoided us. Finally he was in a very humbling situation and talked with us. His girl friend broke up with him and his power went out for 3 days and lost his puppy. So he let us come in. So we talked about things being for our experience and shared Joseph Smith in Carthage, talked about the purpose of the BoM and Church. He wanted to be baptized and said he was ready to. He asked us to give him a ride to church (before we asked him if he wanted to) and immediately said he'd be baptized. I explained the going to church 3 times so he matter of factly said "well then I'll be baptized the fourth Sunday". We also asked him about calling us Latter Day Saints and how he knew and he told us, I don't know, I just knew. Something told me you guys were.
It's been a miracle and complete privilege to be apart of his conversion. I have never seen such great faith.

I find out about transfers this Thursday, Friday or Saturday. I hope I stay. I feel I will. I love the people here. I feel like Ammon, desiring to dwell with them perhaps till the day I die. About 90% of the ward are converts. it's the funniest time. I really need to record the stuff that goes on.

We get fed pretty much every night. My favorite dinners are the good ones. I'm eating well on my own. Pasta slides, sandwiches, pancakes, left overs, juevos y chorizo, the works.

My comp is 23 and been out for a year. I'm 18 and been out for like 2 months. So he can be a little prideful and not take into account things I have to say. We've been doing awesome this whole transfer but this past week was a little hard. I talked about after we felt the Spirit during lessons when we were both soft hearted and so it was good. We're better now.

I love you all as I say every time. Never fear to share the Gospel with friends. God is hastening his work as they always say. Miracles will happen when you offer it and love people. It's happening here. Just speaking up and offering the Gospel can affect generations to come. Look at my mommy and our family now. Look at my great great great Grandpa George. All he got was a flyer he couldn't even read. A simple invitation. And now we're so many generations later. The Gospel is real. It contains what our lives are even for. Why we even exist. I talk about it all the time because it continually blows me away. I know these things are true. Pray about them for yourself. God will give you an answer.

Compiled with Love,
Elder Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment