Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sharing the gospel the way Jesus did

I love my parents incredibly and everyday I'm so grateful for the things they've taught me. Everyday I consciously think of the effort they made towards me. I'm sorry I was a punk and am a punk still haha. But I love you guys so much. I don't fully realize the sacrifices you've made but I do think of them. I love talking about my parents and what amazing things they've done to raise they're 5 troublesome kids and 1 daughter.
 
I got to go on exchanges with Elder Hamblin! I've sent you pictures of me and him. He's such an awesome missionary. He's been struggling with his companion a lot. He's so willing to do anything for anyone but his companion (his trainer) just hates everybody and doesn' act like he wants to progress. But him and I were able to talk about it and my companion and his companion (who get along famously instantly) were also able to talk about it. Hopefully they get better. But it was a dream come true being able to serve with my buddy Hamblin.
 
We have this investigator Tom who is open minded but just wants to do the eduaction side of it. Which is a good start. But he's really funny. We were talking about even Hitler being bapitzed for the dead and i asked my companion, he's already been baptized? I thought they would wait a little bit on that. And Tom starts flipping through the BoM going, come on Joe Smith! There's gotta be some kind of bit on the Hitler thing! He's a really funny guy.
 
To all scripture scholars: what kind of scripture marking system did you use? I'm developing my own and looking for advice from others.
 
Could somebody get me Todd Moodys hilarious poem for the Christmas fast sunday with the moldy bread those years ago?
 
In Gospel Doctrine (we don't have principles yet but we're going to start one) they were talking about family history ideas. Sister Tew told us that her mom made real bed time stories of their family ancestors history. I thought you might like that idea, mom.
 
People can't say or remember Buhecker and Edgel (both weird German names) so they call us Bacon and Eggs.
 
I'm learning that service and helping others must be done out of pure love and desire to lift another. Not out of, "I'll do this because then they'll see what a cool person I am and want to talk to missionaries." But out of simple love and desire to help in anyway. I'm learning it must be completely selfless and you must have no back thought of how you're going to trick them into wanting to be baptized because of it. The Savior went around healing people of life long, life threatening, heart aching, undescribeable pain causing illnesses. All out of the most pure love. He didn't say, alright now listen up to my words and get baptized in my church. He did it with the most single mind in just lifting their burdens in any way he possibly could. Such selflessness and love. Once we do this, then we can see miracles of being able to help others more than through physical ways. Sharing the Gospel isn't to get gain or to say you're a good member and you're better at being obedient. But to just share the pure love the Savior has for us. He tells us over and over, if you have faith and you want it, I'll give it to you. He just wants to help us in anything we desire. He'll give us anything we want. Inside the church, outside the church. But how much more He will bless us when we don't think of what we want to do and think of what He wants us to do. That's when we're no longer just a branch being grafted in a tree. That's when we're His SERVANT grafting others. And what an honor it is. How much you are able to feel of His love when you don't ask for things and look for ways to help build His Kingdom.
 
The church is so true. I'm learning that stronger and stronger each day. It's not something here that's pretty cool and can help us and has a few good things going for it. It's so simple and so amazing that it's the purpose of why we even exist.
 
I love you all so very much and pray for each of you. Both my family and all my friends and all people in the ward and all people I've ever known. I may not be good at writting to you particularly but I remember and think of you so often. I wish I could have enough time to talk to each of you individually every week. And to think of how infinitely much our Father in Heaven who created us wants to talk to us every day.
 
Compiled with much love,
Elder Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment