Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Monday, August 26, 2013

Heavenly Father is just so loving.

In response to you:
Rangely is not very LDS. 2000 population. About 300 in each ward. A ton of less actives. We've been teaching a lot of less actives. I love them so much but it'd be nice being able to get to people who don't even know yet. Dad, thanks for being such an example in your home teaching. I learning how important it is. That goes to Tyler, too. I kept bugging him about member missionary work when I lost sight of the importance of home teaching.
We got a care package of things from Salt Lake. Everything we need to be able to live. They even gave us $5 each to Subway for surviving. I had to use my companions huge unnecessary knife for making sandwiches. There's a pic.
No idea what poisoned me. I was fine after the one day though. Good thing it was P day so I could nap a lot of it off. We have a PO box. And I don't know it. Mail it the mission address and they'll forward it to me. It's a day longer but you don't have to keep getting updated on my address. I'll mail you a letter this week of things I keep forgetting to tell or ask you and it'll have all that junk.
Well Dad, I haven't heard any airplane jokes. I was actually the one that made it to my companion... And then I apologized for such a joke. I don't know if I told you but my companion was in this area in the start of his mission (I'm the first greenie since him and he's training me, and I'm the first 18 year old in Rangely) so people ask him to pray more than I. But in our first dinner the very first day I did get asked to pray since I was so new. I thought that was funny haha.
We do a different approach with people than just asking them if they want to hear our message. We ask if we could leave a prayer and blessing upon their house. It's powerful. We call down the powers of the priesthood and the blessings they ask for happen. It brings in the Spirit. So that's been softening hearts and increasing people's willingness. It's awesome.
On Thursday we had zone conference and had to wake up at 4:30 to start the day so we were pretty tired by the end of the day. It was 8:30. We had just tried a former but they weren't home. Their neighbors were outside. So we OYM'd (open your mouth) and asked if we could leave a blessing and they said ya. In the blessing Elder Jordan names every member of the family and meant to say "bless them to continue to have good success". Too bad he said sex instead of success. After the prayer we laughed it off though.
You'll see in the pictures that his place is beautiful. Mostly everyone here though was either brought here for, or currently drill oil or work in the coal mine. So There's a ton of trailer and RV parks. Where we live is apparently the "ghetto" of Rangely. It's almost like Vegas haha.
This week flew by! We've met with awesome people that just need a push and a good spiritual confirmation. We're meeting with an excon who served a mission and has been in a nut house. So it's interesting. He has a huge mastiff dog that's really old. Cool stuff. The people here are just so typical western hick, it's hilarious. I feel like I'm Gentle Man Broncos. There's even a LA (less active) that looks IDENTICAL to the guy with the snake it's ridic! Just an older version. It's so funny out here. The quirky people just tickle my peach. Like the Gentleman Bronco guy, the first I met him he had a trucker hat that said "America's #1 drinking team!" and it just made me laugh so hard on the inside. Janea and Tyler would bust up laughing at some of the things here. It's just so perfect.
MORE FUN WITH THE STEAMER

We're meeting with an eternagator. An eternal investigator. Wife was baptized, he comes to church but doesn't believe. He has an interesting story. Really smart guy. Used to be a preacher. Loves his Vodka. There was a time in his life that he said he's been close with God and felt his promptings continually in his life on exactly the things he should be doing. (for 40 years he's been drinking everyday so he's had this while drinking). He doesn't get drunk. He has some different views. He believes Joseph Smith was a prophet, the BoM was inspired. He believes some facts aren't right in it. He doesn't believe Brigham Young was a prophet. He doesn't believe Thomas S Monson is either. He doesn't think Prophets should have body guards. He thinks everyone is going to Heaven again. So agrees closely a lot but some of it is pretty quirky. Like how Jesus bent the matrix and we can too. Which is true in a sense through faith but he goes a bit too far. We dedicated his home Friday and felt impressed to cast out all evil spirits... Apparently he turned his back on God a while ago and the last three years he hasn't had that closeness with Him and it's been a struggle on his faith. We're going to help him through the atonement. He's a tricky guy.
I LEFT MY DORK DOT ON DURING MY ENTIRE STAY AT THE MTC, haha.

It's frightens me that I won't know what exactly to say to these people. I get a little depressed and scared and frustrated. I'm casting away all doubt and trying to be selfless and trusting in the Spirit. I know we're going to help these people to baptism. The work hasn't been done in Rangely in a long long time. Our Ward Mission Leader thanked us for working and said more work has been done in the last two weeks in a long long time. That's sad but I'm glad I get to work and help this town. I love it so much. I'm praying to have a confirmation that this is true and that the Spirit can work through me. I've always grown up knowing little by little but I feel it important to do as I'm asking people to do. I know I'll receive an answer. Heavenly Father is just so loving.

I love this work! It's awesome having the Spirit work through me and prompt me on what to say and do.

Elder Edgel's wisdom: DON'T IGNORE THE SPIRIT. You loose so many opportunities to help people that need it so bad! Love, love, love! Who cares about what people think of you! You're not that great anyway.

You guys are sounding like you're doing so awesome. This work is amazing. Life is good when you're not thinking about how good you can make life for yourself. I couldn't be happier.

-Elder Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment