Elder Edgels wisdom:

Elder Edgel's wisdom: I knew God was a Heavenly Father who loved me beyond anything I could ever imagine and was going to do His best to help me along.

Monday, August 12, 2013

1st P day letter. Pray for the love of God.

I'm so glad to hear from you guys. So Brother Garret and Jeremy got in accidents while I've been gone huh? That's so sad. The good thing is that we can learn so much from seemingly bad things. Chicago sounded fun. Thanks for not visiting Elder Herdt.

The MTC is amazing. Learning so much so fast. It's stressful at times. My teacher is very smart and some things he teaches seems a little beyond us and so it kinda stresses me out. But I know it's good stuff. Last night he taught us about living the principals. Living the Fall of Adam. Living the Apostacy. Finding out how it's relatable in our lives in our language. Makes sense but it was a bit past me the way he explained. It's almost distracting but I'm going strong.

Just thinking about the fact that I'm a missionary brings so much joy to me. It's truly a blessing to serve the Lord. There's 2 districts of missionaries going to Coly, Denver South. 19 of us total. One trio. 4 sisters. My companion is district leader now. He's an amazing guy. When I got paired with him I thought I was going to teach and help him out a ton but now I see that I have so much to learn from him. He may not be the smartest and know exactly how to teach, but he's so humble, loving, patient and meek. I love the guy so much. Most importantly he can deal with me haha. I'm patient with myself. My weaknesses will make me strong in seeing that I need the Spirit in all that I do. I'm learning how to listen to the Spirit.

In a lesson we talked about how investigators are looking for a "water bottle" when they pray. (specific, direct, easy answers). Even though their staring at the water fountain they think they need a water bottle to drink it. And then they die of dehydration. It's our duties to teach them they don't a water bottle. They just need the water. That's what I'm learning. Apply it to your life. There's so much to learn. I'm learning "deep doctrine" isn't Kolob Theory and teleportation. Real DEEP doctrine that you could study for centuries and not know perfectly is The Savior's love. The Atonement. Things that we must apply in our lives. I'm learning to teach like the 12 Apostles. When they teach, they teach very simply. They don't worry us with other worlds, intelligences vs. spirits vs bodies. Some of the missionaries are getting distracted with things like that. It's too bad.

I taught my companion to shave. The little guy is growing up. I'm learning the meaning of baptism. I've been fasting to know. There's so much meaning in things we can learn from that seem so simple. We heard Wilford Woodruff's voice at the missionary conference Sunday. One of the first recordings in history. It was so cool. At the fireside we heard from Jenny Oaks. The apostle's daughter. A very talented violinist. She talked about spiritual gifts and about how if we are imperfect it is our duty to pray for the spiritual gift to make us perfect. She quoted someone on that.

We taught a TRC. Training Resource Center. Investigators, members, inactives, people come and let us teach them in their "homes" in the MTC. Ours was Arnold. We never really taught though. We just bore testimonies and told of our conversions. I challanged him to pray so he said he would. Hopefully I explained it so he doesn't look for a water bottle.

We heard Elder Bednar's talk on the Character of Christ. The coolest thing. How he turns outward instead of inward. A mother called him early one morning and told him 3 girls had been in a fatal accident. One was dead. She needed him to go and find out who the two were because they were so messed up that no one could tell. He realized she was on the phone with the nurse at the same time with him on another phone. (before cell phones). He heard the nurse tell this single mother that her only daughter was the one that had died. A single mother with only one child. At that moment she told Bednar, We need to tell the mothers of the situation now and make sure they know what's going on. She turned outward instead of inward. Another mother who's child ended up dying was relief society president. Before the funeral a sister was whining about how she had a cold and no one had yet gone to give her a meal. Right before the funeral the relief society president did. Amazing stories. So grateful to hear that people are like this and that we can too.

This church is so true. I'm so thankful to be a part of it. We're doing the right thing. Trust in God. Pray for His love. I love you guys so much. I'm praying for you all. Elder Edgel

No comments:

Post a Comment